domingo, 26 de septiembre de 2010

Jaguares to stop in El Paso before separating

By Mía R. Cortez

After more than two years of promoting and touring their latest album, “45,” Jaguares will wrap up the extensive international tour next month and then the four members will part ways. El Paso was squeezed into their schedule and the band is making a pit stop at the Coliseum this Saturday.

The separation is not permanent – Jaguares promises to reunite in 2012 to begin work on their seventh album, but the ongoing success of “45,” launched in August of 2008, has taken their fame to a new level.

Jaguares’ four members – Alfonso André, 48, César Vampiro López, 42, Marco Rentería, 36, and Saúl Hernández, 46 – say they just want some time to do their own thing.

In a recent interview, lead vocalist and composer Hernández talked about the sabbatical, the social themes behind “45” and previous albums, and who they’ve become since Caifanes.

Q. “45” has been very successful. Why are you separating now?
Because we’ve never done it before. And because “45” came to show us another rhythm of work. It was an album that sonically took a unique direction. It has so much energy; it gave us reflection and clarity. We were looking for a fresh sound, and we found it. Now we want to make sure that our next album is the same or better.

Q. The title “45” is a reference to the 45 million people living in poverty in Mexico; over the years you’ve addressed many other social issues with your music. What do you hope will change in your native country?
We hope to generate reflection in our people – recuperate our conscience. One of the most important points is to restart educational programs and rebuild our economic structure. It’s very unbalanced right now: We have some of the richest (people) in the world and yet we have 45 million in poverty.

We also need new farming infrastructure, so more people will stay in Mexico to work their own land. It’s something that will take many years, but we have to start with the younger generations; turn around the “victim” attitude – the fear of failure – and learn to succeed.

Q. How have you changed since founding and rising to fame as the young roqueros of Caifanes?
It’s real now. Musically, that which we are living as Jaguares is much different. We’ve improved and grown a lot. We were much younger. It all went so fast, and a lot has changed. I like this time we’re in as Jaguares, and now I just want to slow down and enjoy it all.

Q. What will you do during the band’s sabbatical?
I’m due in the studio soon, to start work on my own album. I’ll really have to work it and promote it – it will be certainly be very different. But I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time. I want to find that space where I can work just with myself and create my own music.

Q. What is your own music?
I don’t know yet, but I’m not worried.

Q. Will it still be considered rock en español?
I don’t know.

Q. But you’re one of the kings!
Well, I’ll probably pull out my electric guitar here and there (modest chuckle).

Q. Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?
I hope to still be writing and singing. There’s a saying that goes, “God likes me when I work, but he loves me when I sing.”

Q. So do El Paso/Juárez fans.
We love our fans in El Paso, too. And for our fans from Juárez – those who have been with us through thick and thin, and who will come to El Paso to see us because we couldn’t go to them – God bless you. Remember that no act of violence can change the course of humanity. There’s nowhere to go but up.

No hay comentarios.: